Friday, October 23, 2009

Let's explore!

Last week I had a roaring urge to go urban exploring.

I never knew Barra Castle existed until my friend pointed some pictures of it on Facebook. I read a little about it and discovered it was built in the 1930's, there was also this huge story that it has been neglected for quite some time. Some guy bought the place for $780,000 spent another $250,000 replacing the roof, then was kicked out because the fire/electrical inspectors sought it was too dangerous and was in really bad condition... which to my mind makes no sense because the guy was trying to FIX that problem. I mean come on let the guy finish at least!!

Anyway, what I was more interested in was finding some more Art Deco motifs. We took a lot of pictures, but came out with not much relating to Art Deco, even though the place was built in the 1930's. I'll post the ones I liked best, including the ones that came close if not on the dot for Art Deco. For those of you who are not caught up with the earlier blogs, I'm needing as many Art Deco motifs as I can get in aid of a video game that Dan is currently programming. These motifs will be used for creating some spaceship/fighter designs.

Here are some pictures (some taken by my friend and some taken by moi):


Neat little light cover.

One of the many many many bathrooms.

Yeah, don't know if that's black mould but stayed away anyway.


My favorite room, mostly because I could breathe

Not a big fan of the brick wall paper.

More decorations I really liked.

Wowee.


I liked these decorations on the fireplaces.


Creepiest part of the visit.

Some more boarder details.

I did not want to go down there, but guess what, we did.

Nothing like a hot steaming bath to end all your worries. Add wood to enhance the experience.

The top of that metal thing was the only motive I liked enough to add to my collection.

Amazing hallway, too tight for my liking!

A better example of one of the many fireplaces.

The glass designs caught my attention in this photo, I've seen glass like this in Deco books.

This is a good example of the water damage we found... what a stinky mess.



This is the facade of the building cracking off, believed to be one of the
issues the inspectors had.

You can't see it too well in this photo, the motifs in the boarder of this doorway.

Concrete pillar SMASHED!

Old style mailboxes, probably from the original design.

Bad example but the fireplaces in this house were the closest things I could find to Deco.

Cherub on the point of this arched doorway.


Nice lion face on the outside of the building.

I hope you enjoyed the photos...
I'll be back with some artwork that combines the deco with the fighters/spaceships.
See ya!

2 comments:

  1. Cool pics Kupo!

    It's cool how you see all the little details when it's so easy to be distracted by the neglect (and weird stuff) that is going on in that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Kat! Yeah it was freaky, but still amazing architecture if you can ignore the sad neglect.

    ReplyDelete