Thursday, October 15, 2009

Crude Yet Useful Beginning

I have a small collection of art deco motifs cast in my notebook. Most of these drawings are so crude that it's really going to be me and only me that understands what their purpose was.
Art Deco is very broad as a style. What Dan and I are most interested in are the more powerful looking shapes from the 1920's and 30's. It was interesting to see that the 1980's and 90's tried to replicate the Deco theme, but [from what I saw in my book] it all ended up looking like sh**. It looked as though they were close, but they were always off somehow. I wonder if there's some Golden Mean stuff happening in the 30's that made it look so damn attractive. Don't worry too much about reading the notes I wrote with the drawings... it's mostly just me thinking and commenting to myself.


So there's obviously not much shown, but it gives you an idea of what I was looking for in the Deco books. Down below I have more sketches, mostly just me trying to get a "feel" of how to draw spaceships. In the nicer sketch you can see a futuristic looking ship that I think was my favorite one out of the bunch.

I don't have any distinct style yet, these drawings are purely me just having fun, trying to figure out how the heck do you go about drawing a spaceship concept??? There's going to be a lot more where these came from, but this should all lead me to drawing something with more personality. Thanks for reading! More drawing to come tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment