Monday, October 19, 2009

Deck the halls with Deco artists Fa la la la la la la la lahh!!

I've been looking more in depth with all this Deco stuff, and have found a few favorite Deco artists so far.

François Pompon - Known for his stylized animals. This guy's ability to work in extreme simplicity is stunning. My favorite piece of his has to be the Polar Bear. I really like the Hippo too! They're almost like the designer toys everyone is going crazy over today.



Pierre le Faguays - I'm not familiar enough with him to know what he's really known for, but his Faun and Nymph statue really caught my attention, very geometric stance. The wavy hair on the nymph is another Deco motif I added to my collection.

Paul Philippe - I would Imagine he's well known for his human figurines. "Dancer with Turban" was my favorite, but unfortunately couldn't find it on the net. So, here's another of his...


Gustave Miklos - I really enjoyed looking at some of GM's work for it's beauty, simplicity, and mostly, it's strange forms.




All of these guys are sculptors, so I guess that means I like the sculpture part of Art Deco, I'm going to dive further into all this and explore more forms. There's still two dimensional and architecture to explore. My goal is not to study the artists themselves, but get a really good feel for this style so I can start creating my own stuff. I've already started sketching my own artwork in this style...

more on that tomorrow!!





No comments:

Post a Comment