Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Getting a feel

I've never been into drawing spaceships and other mechanical objects, so creating the concepts for the game will be a challenge for me. Usually when I have no clue which way to go as far as concepts and sketching goes, I'd get a feel of how to draw this stuff from other artists work and build off that. I guess you can call it research... or stealing. In the end, I want to be able to know how these spaceships move just from looking at the drawings... just like a character.

I dropped by the library yesterday to find some books that'll be of help for the concepts. The list consisted of : Guns, Art Deco, Trains a History, various illustration books, painting techniques, drawing textures. I even had a look at some children's "How to Draw" spaceships book, some of those books can be a great way to get some initial ideas. Last night I started the process of compiling some motifs in one of the Art Deco books I grabbed.

As far as the net goes: Some artwork on Deviant Art in the spaceship/fighter/robots section has given me some new outlooks. Drawn is one of the default places I visit for instant inspiration. If you (the reader) knows of any place that would be useful to visit for spaceships or even just to get inspired, please let me know!

Some initial concepts will be up tomorrow (Thursday)... I'm off to keep drawing!


No comments:

Post a Comment